SEIU members working at Woodbine and Mohawk racetracks have ratified a three-year deal.
“It was important for us to get wage increases that keep up with the rising cost of living,” said Carol Tulloch-Eccelston, the Union Chief Steward. “Prices have skyrocketed since we last negotiated a contract.”
A tentative deal was reached at the eleventh hour, late into the night on Thursday April 20. The ratification votes took place on Sunday April 23 and Monday the 24.
“Negotiations were tough,” said Elaine Pino-Lopez, a Security Steward at Woodbine and member of the negotiating committee. “But we feel we got the best deal we could have and made improvements in a number of areas.”
The new agreement includes:
- General wage increase: 3.5% annually (2023, 2024, 2025)
- $500 signing bonus for all employees
- In addition, certain identified classifications (Building Operator, Grader Operator, Labourer and Advance Security Guard) received additional “economic adjustment” increases over and above the 3.5% annual increase in order to bring them in line with GTA labour-market rates.
- Short-Term Plan successfully doubled from 26-weeks to 52-weeks without any corresponding reduction in LTD coverage despite management’s attempts to reduce LTD coverage.
- Training Allowance Premium of $1.00/hour
- Travel Allowance increased from $0.35/km to $0.60 km.
- Vacation scheduling language improvements,
- “Unpaid Admin Leave Pending Investigation” eliminated (ensuring uninterrupted wage and benefit continuation),
- Video Surveillance limitations updated,
- Vacation pay access for non-paid ESA Emergency Days entitlements.
SEIU represents start-gate workers, maintenance, janitorial and security personnel.
For more information, please contact your steward or Union representative.
Woodbine: by Oliver Mallich. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtl_shag/1032472895
Mohawk: by Tudor Costache. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mohawk_raceway_06_july_2007_tac.jpg